The CLCL’s beginning dates to 1938 with the creation of The Foreign Language Phonetics Laboratory in East Hall (this building would eventually be renamed to Seashore Hall). This laboratory was originally house in the Psychology department and its primary function was to allow students to record and listen to their pronunciation skills with phonographs and used advanced technology to listen to radio programs from all over the world. The Foreign Language Phonetics Laboratory would soon face a large remodel after a fire destroy the laboratory in 1946. The lab was fully functional once again by the 1950s but would soon move and expand to Schaeffer Hall. This new Phonetics Laboratory would expand into three classrooms, 125A, 125B, and 125D (and eventually add 122SH in the 60s), which allowed for more technology and improved space for students to study in. In 1963, the Phonetic Laboratory would be housed under the Romance Languages Department. By 1967, the Romance Languages Department was split up and the Phonetics Laboratory became house in the Spanish and Portuguese Department. In 1970, the Phonetics Laboratory was officially renamed to the Language Media Center. The Language Media Center obtained their own departmental status in 1974, when it was determined that the Center served all departments in foreign languages.
Beginning in 1976, the Language Media Center began to resemble the current capabilities and advancements that we know today. In 1976, with the increasing demand for computer-aided instructions computer terminals were installed in the center. By 1981, the Language Media Center was equipped with audio tape, video tape, and computer activities. According to the 1981 Language Media self-study, “Its principal services are those normally associated with a university language laboratory facility. These services include acquisition and management of a library for foreign language media materials (audio and video tapes, records, slides, and filmstrips), duplication and check-out of taped library materials.” In addition, classes would use the computers for foreign language computer-assisted instruction and computer-based activities.
By 1994, the Language Media Center had outgrown its space in Schaeffer Hall and was moved to 120 Phillips Hall where the rest of the foreign language departments were now located. In Phillips Hall, the Language Media Center grew to house 30 video/multimedia carrels, 10 personal computers, 27 Macintosh computers, and 6 small group rooms for video viewing. Media loans were still a primary service with tapes, books, and CDs about foreign language instruction becoming the dominant check-out materials. The function and look of the Language Media Center remained similar well in the 2010s, with the addition of an Audio Lab in 17PH, expanded computers (24 PCS and 8 Macs), and CDs/DVDs as the primary media loans.
In 2019, the Language Media Center underwent a large remodel and technology renovation. The name was officially changed to The Center for Language and Culture Learning! The Center is now a dynamic hub for teaching and learning, community outreach, and advocacy. It is a place where students can find quiet study spaces or can meet with study groups, for conversation hours, and multilingual events. See our Mission and Facilities pages for more information.